Book - Extraordinary Women: Images of Courage
A Tatyana top five pick:
“I am all about women empowerment and this book covers all the way from your “everyday” women to women in “struggles” and how they have had an amazing input in histories making.”
Typical warzone coverage has two focuses. The fighters, predominantly young men; and the victims - everyone else. This book calls this familiar narrative into question. Without glamorizing or sanitizing the harsh realities of our world, it presents the endurance and iron will of women in situations of war, poverty and hardship.
Throughout his career, award winning photographer Tom Stoddart has shown us the remarkable resilience of all sorts of people from across the world. With Extraordinary Women, he hones his focus on the female perspective. His photojournalistic approach travels through the recent decades, with images displaying courage and freedom, the working lives of everyday women and the frontline of war.
Each photo serves as a testament to the agency and strength of those who are so often portrayed as vulnerable and helpless. Tom Stoddart has built a reputation for compelling work, and this collection is especially remarkable for its uncompromising celebration of humanity.
- A photographic collection that salutes the strong will of women through times of war, poverty and hardship
- Photographic assignments from The Balkans, The Sudan, Mozambique, South Africa, India, Bangladesh, Lebanon, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, Albania, Turkey, China, America, Ireland, and much more
- Foreword by Angelina Jolie, introduction by Robin Morgan, Editor in Chief of the Sunday Times Magazine (1991-2009)
- The Extraordinary Women images will be screened at Visa pour I'image, the world's biggest international festival of photojournalism at Perpignan, France, in the first week of September. Extraordinary Women will be exhibited at Side Gallery in Newcastle upon Tyne from Saturday 26th September until Sunday 13th December
- Includes War on Women, an essay by Marie Colvin